Government law training module
Essentials for the government lawyer
Who should attend
This 3 day course will benefit anyone working as a government lawyer or in a legal policy role in a Commonwealth agency. The course has been specifically tailored for graduate lawyers and those who are relatively new to Commonwealth government practice.
Topics covered in the course include:
- the Commonwealth financial framework
- public sector employment law and statutory appointments
- the Legal Services Directions
- Commonwealth litigation and alternative dispute resolution
- constitutional law issues and the in-house government lawyer
- statutory interpretation
- the legislative process
- the life cycle of Commonwealth contracts.
For this course presenters are drawn from specialist areas in AGS that deal with the particular topics. They are experienced practitioners, experts in their fields and also have a great depth of knowledge of the Commonwealth government environment. The course also features some of AGS's most senior lawyers, such as the Chief General Counsel and the Chief Counsel, Dispute Resolution.
The course runs for 3 days – 9 am to 4.30 pm each day. Full catering is provided on all 3 days.
Standard fee – $2,000 (inclusive of GST) per person.
No more than 20 people will be accepted on each course and courses will only be conducted if we receive sufficient nominations.